7:30 AM | NETWORKING BREAKFAST
8:20 AM | OPENING REMARKS FROM THE CO-CHAIR
Head of Pension Investments and Debt Financing
The City of Montreal
8:25 AM | INNOVATION FOR INSTITUTIONAL INVESTORS
The Opportunities and Challenges for Leading the Industry into a Digital Age
Institutional investment is in the midst of a technological revolution. Everyone accepts that it will transform and drive innovation in in the industry which is now facing a whole new set of opportunities and challenges. In this novel session, discover how leading pension plans are moving into the digital age — and will reap the benefits. Discover:
- Are we doomed to innovate? How to think about innovation when you are an asset owner
- How the use of big data will significantly modify the way pension funds manage risk across their portfolio
- How will innovation impact the risk-return of the overall portfolio as some sectors are being disrupted by technology innovations?
- What investments need to be made for digital infrastructure and skills?
- Innovation as a threat: how to respond to cyber security challenges
Managing Partner, North America
Chappuis Halder & Co.
Executive Vice President, Digital Technologies and Operations
Director, Digital Innovation
9:15 AM | EMERGING MARKETS
The Value of Investing in Global Markets
There is great investment potential to be found in emerging markets. With approximately 70% of all global economic growth now originating from emerging markets — especially India and China — institutional investors can benefit greatly if they deploy the right strategies. In this session, discover the key factors that will enhance your ROI, allowing your fund to hedge against currency and FX volatility and seize opportunities from the steady growth outside of developed markets.
Arup Datta, MBA, CFA
Senior Vice President and Head of Global Quantitative Equity
Mackenzie Investment Corporation
9:55 AM | INSURANCE-LINKED SECURITIES
How to Benefit from the Amazing Growth of Insurance-Linked Securities
Since 2008, the Insurance-Linked Securities (ILS) market has grown 4.5 times to $90B and is projected to grow to ~$225B by 2021. The ILS market has also become a fertile ground for innovation leading to an increasingly diversified offering, including: ESG, Pandemic and Financial Guarantees for various players that span from corporations to Governments including the UN. As a result, more and more institutional investors have been considering this asset category. Our panel will discuss what is the state of the market today and how should a prudent investor enter the space.
Investment Management Services
Jonathan Malawer, CFA
Managing Director, K2 Advisors
Franklin Templeton Investments
Vice President – Strategy
Caisse de depot et placement du Quebec
10:40 AM | NETWORKING REFRESHMENT BREAK
11:00 AM | REAL ESTATE
What Strategy Best Fits Investors in 2019
Real estate has long served as a core performer for institutional investors — despite its illiquid nature and high valuations. But it requires a solid understanding of the risks. In this session, hear expert perspectives on the very latest developments in both domestic and international real estate and discover:
- The best opportunities both inside and outside developed markets
- Current challenges in the real estate asset class
- Facing — and solving — the valuation challenges
- Are these asset classes overvalued?
- Will they continue to retain their diversification challenges via lower correlations with more liquid asset classes?
Senior Director, Private Market Risk Group
Head Manager, Real Estate Investments, Pension Funds
Chief Investment Officer
Montreal Transit Commission
Managing Director, Head of Americas Product & Solutions
TH Real Estate, a Nuveen Company
IAM Real Estate Group